Daniel Barry is head of our EU and Competition Law team.
Daniel has extensive experience within all areas of Danish and EU competition law, including cartels, horizontal cooperation agreements, distribution agreements, abuse of dominance, merger control, state aid and competition law compliance, and continuously acts on some of the most complex and high-profile competition law cases.
Daniel focuses primarily on complex competition law litigations, including Danish and EU cartel cases and abuse cases and Danish and multi-jurisdictional follow-on damages cases. His experience includes participation in the European Commission's leniency programme and settlement procedure; coordination of criminal/administrative procedures in various foreign jurisdictions, including the US; and management and coordination of follow-on damages actions in various jurisdictions, including Denmark, Germany, the UK, the US, Canada and Israel. Daniel has been involved in the filing of a number of negative declaratory actions ("torpedoes"), which had not previously been used in Denmark in competition related damages actions.
Daniel is Chairman of the Competition Law Committee for the Association of Danish Law Firms and a member of the Board of the Danish Competition Law Society.
- Ørsted - Representation in relation to the successful appeal of decisions from the Danish competition authorities regarding alleged abuse of dominance in the form of excessive pricing and assistance in relation to related damages actions involving more than 1100 business. The case complex is the largest ever in Denmark
- Danfoss - Representation in relation to the Refrigeration Compressors cartel case complex, including representation in relation to the European Commission's investigation, leniency programme and settlement procedure; coordination of criminal/administrative investigations in multiple foreign jurisdictions and representation in and coordination of follow-on damages actions in multiple jurisdictions
- Trucks - Representation of an international truck manufacturer in relation to follow-on damages actions relating to the Trucks cartel
- Tryg - Merger control and competition law assistance in relation to Tryg's possible multi billion pound acquisition of parts of RSA Insurance Group
- Nissan Nordic Europe - Representation in relation to stand-alone damages action regarding refusal of access to qualitative selective distribution system for after sale services
- Predatory pricing - Representation of a company in the financial sector in relation to a stand-alone damages action regarding alleged predatory pricing
- Repayment of state aid - Representation of an international clean-energy company in relation to a claim for repayment of alleged over-compensation for the operation of services of general economic interest (pursuant to the Public Service Decision)
- CRT cartel - Representation of an international home electronics manufacturer in a damages action relating to the CRT cartel
- Skandinavisk Motor Co (Semler) - Representation in relation to a follow-on damages action relating to abuse of dominance on the spare parts market
- The Association of Danish Law Firms - Advising the Association of Danish Law Firms in relation to complaint about Karnov for abuse of dominance through, inter alia, excessive pricing
- Weber-Stephen Nordic - Competition law advice regarding implementation of a qualitative selective distribution system in the Nordic Region
- Novo - Assistance with merger filings in multiple jurisdictions regarding investment in ERT together with Nordic Capital
- Bluegarden - Merger control and competition law advise to Marlin Equity Partners in relation to acquisition of Bluegarden and subsequent sale to Visma
- Verisure - Competition law advise in relation to acquisition of Falck's alarm business in Denmark, Norway and Sweden and subsequent cooperation in Denmark and Norway
- Lessor - Merger control and competition law advise to Lessor Group and its owners in relation to sale of Lessor Group to Axcel
Daniel Barry is ranked as Up and Coming as regards Competition/European Law. Daniel Barry enters the ranking this year due to strong market feedback. He represents clients in competition disputes, including those arising from anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance claims. Clients enthuse: "He is one of the best in terms of displaying passion for competition law and understanding how it should be interpreted by businesses." (2021)
Daniel Barry is recommended and listed as a "Next generation lawyer" as regards EU and Competition. (2018+2019+2020)
The group includes "sharp, responsive and friendly" Daniel Barry (2018)
Daniel Barry is listed as a "Future Leader" within Competition. (2017+2018+2019+2020)
Sources name Daniel Barry at Plesner Advokatpartnerselskab "a skilled litigator and expert", and rate him highly for his "strategic thinking and deep insight into competition economics" (2018)
Daniel Barry has been chosen as a "Rising Star" within Competition and Antitrust (2016+2017+2018)
Daniel Barry is recommended as regards EU and Competition. (2017)